Blogging has taken a backseat to life lately!
Before I delve into the run talk, I feel the need to catch you up on what’s been going on ’round here.
My work life:
- I started my new dream job! I couldn’t be more stoked to work at a super stellar school so close to my home with some pretty fantastic people! Working every day isn’t as big a change as I anticipated… I actually like it! It doesn’t hurt that I am finally on the same schedule as my kids, meaning, I can drop off and pick up the kids every day if I need to. Extra bonus: I filled up my fuel tank once during the entire month of August. Extra extra bonus: I get to work with one of my besties again!
- I finally found a red stapler to add to my classroom!
Um… I think you have my stapler.
- And my super sis brought by a gorgeous orchid to make my room more of a home!
- HUGE thanks and love to the best husband in the world, too! He arranged his schedule this week so he was home every day to help us transition from the summer lazies into the full on school mode!!!
My family life:
- Monday was my 7th anniversary to said best husband. We’ve been together for 11 years, and I still count myself to be the luckiest girl to have nabbed him. We celebrated with din din at The Grill on the Alley. He even remembered his wallet!
- The girls got official haircuts! It was Blondie’s first time at a hair salon!
- Tuesday, Blondie started back at preschool. She needed to go back to school about two weeks ago. I love her so much, but, man! At least she’s no shrinking violet! Here’s the requisite first day pic:
- Wednesday was the first day of school for both my mini me and me! I can’t believe my baby is in kinder! So far, she totally digs it.
My friends life:
- I can’t express to my friends at my old job how much it meant to receive their well-wishes texts! I loved my old job so much, and the hardest part was knowing I wouldn’t be seeing my friends every other day! I love them so much!
- My runner-in-denial friend and I met up, which was super cool because I missed her AND she brought me some of her old materials from the new subject I’m teaching. How amazing is that! Beg, borrow, steal, and share! Seeing her gave me the confidence boost I needed for the first day!
- 1/2 of my neighborfriends went for a super hot run with me! As everyone knows, running with friends is exponentially better than running alone, especially in the superheat of late! J is also running the Ventura half next weekend!
My running life:
- Tapering has been hard, as usual. The decreased mileage is weird, and I’ve had to cut out staples in my diet like these:
- But let’s be real, here. After my best mom in the world came over bright and early last Sunday so that I could get my final long run in, I didn’t think twice about ordering carrot cake gelato from Paciugo.
- I made up for it by eating almost half of the plate of organic heirloom tomatoes and buffalo mozza my best mom in the world made for dinner. My mom seriously makes the best dinners.
- My easy runs have been hovering around a 7:45 pace. I did some hill repeats, but no track work this week.
- My Oiselle race kit arrived! I’m so excited to run my first race tomorrow at the Disney half!
Yes, I am running a half marathon the weekend before my goal race, the Ventura Marathon, next weekend. However, I’m not going to be dumb about it. I’m going to run it as an easy training run, with possibly the last 6-8 miles at marathon pace. I say “possibly” because I’m running it with the huz, and who knows what kind of shape that man is in. He does a load of mountain biking, but his idea of half mary training is to run 2-3 days the week before a race.
The important thing for me to remember is to keep it easy and to hydrate like nobody’s business. Aside from water, I’ll be sucking down cherry limeade Nuun.
Well, we’re off to D-land! A big thanks to my sissy and her husband, who are watching the girls, and to my high school friend and his wife, who are not only going to be forced to hang out with us all day today, but who have opened up their home so that we can crash on the floor tonight. Note to self for next year: book hotel room in advance.
What are your must do’s for Disneyland?
How has the heat changed your workouts?
Why can’t chocolate be a superfood like chia?